Many parents feel nervous on sending her infant daughter or son to day care center after the maternal leave. Usually the working parents have to start sending the infants between 6 months to one year to a good Day care Center. It will be a great change for both mom and child. Both will have the separation anxiety. It is sure the baby will have the stranger anxiety when it is at the peak of its separation from its mother.
Psychotherapists say that the parent should never show their anxiety to the infant. If they are anxious, the infant can easily picks it up. When the parent is open to the caregiver, the baby will sense the person like you and feel secure with the new care-giver. This is the vital signal for the baby to be anxiety-free and relaxed. As a mom, you may be battling with the guilt feeling about going back to work, know that majority of the working moms are facing the same situation.
The parent has to take small steps to get the whole family ready for the change:
- Check out your local Baby care centre and let the family members take care of the child at that time.
- Before officially starting the routine to drop-off the child, spare your time to visit the day care centre with the family and get to know the day care centre environment. This paves an opportunity for you to share to the care-givers about your child.
- The parents have to do the research such as (a) Will the day care allow the baby to have special things like teddy? (b) Who is the primary care-giver? (c) Will the primary care-giver schedule and spare time to know about the kid. The care-taker has to know the eating habits, sleeping time, matters that comforts the kid, the kid’s special song it loves to hear, its liking for rocked sleep, soothing matters etc.
- If it is possible do the transition slowly. Initially start with half an hour in a day then gradually lengthen the time.
- The baby will learn from experience. Let the mom put a brave face and let her do not overdo it. A prolonged good bye by the mom may make the kid distressful instead of giving the assurance. You may be stressed and might cry after leaving the child in the day care. You may even cry more than a baby.
- Do not sneak out. A proper good bye builds a trust. When the parent sneak out, the baby will be more distressed and takes long time to calm down. Tell the child that you are going and will be back, Give a kiss and leave immediately. Before leaving ensure the care-giver presence to comfort, support the child. The child may cry but will stop after few minutes.
Let us know your opinion in comments section below and don‘t forget to share!